Before I reveal who we know about, let me remind you Super Smash Bros. 4 will be released on both the 3DS and the Wii U.
We also know that although both games will have the same number of playable characters they will have different rosters. Before we get into the list here is what Mario will look like on the 3DS version:
And here is what he will look like in the Wii U Version:
Sorry about the size of the second image. It was in HD. The 3DS version will utilize cell-shaded graphics to supplement the 3D screen.
Without further ado, here are the lists. The returning characters, all of which will be on both versions:
- Donkey Kong
- Samus Aran
And now the new characters revealed at E3:
- Villager (from Animal Crossing)
- Wii Fit Trainer (No joke. And they made it work)
- Mega Man (Really)
…You may commence having a nerdgasm now.
Mind you this is just the partial list. We not only do not know who else made the cut but we don’t know how many playable character there are. Mega Man will be in both versions but Wii Fit Trainer and Villager are Wii U exclusives. This brings the total known characters in the Wii U version to 12 and 10 for the 3DS version. If history is to be believed I would not be surprised if the following characters made the cut in one or both games:
- Prince Marth (both versions)
- Lucina (from Fire Emblem Awakening. 3DS only)
- Robin (Player Character from Fire Emblem Awakening, 3DS only)
- Diddy Kong (Both versions)
- The Ice Climbers (Wii U only)
- Zero Suit Samus (both versions)
- Luigi (both versions)
- Yoshi (both versions)
- Gannondorf (both versions)
- Wario (both versions)
- Your Mii (Hinted at, both versions)
- Ness (both versions)
- Zelda/Sheik (Both versions)
- Peach (both versions)
- Toon Link (both versions)
- Sonic (one or both games)
- Mr. Game & Watch (Wii U only)
- Olimar (Wii U Only)
- Jigglypuff (both versions)
- A Pokemon from Pokemon X & Y (Lucario was the tie-in for Diamond, Pearl & Platinum in Brawl. This Pokemon would be in both versions)
- Captain Falcon (both versions)
- Wolf O’Donnel or Falco (one of them in both games or one in each game)
Thanks to the trailers for Mega Man and Wii Fit Trainer it’s confirmed the Smash Ball and Final Smashes introduced in Brawl will be back in both versions of SSB4. You will notice Snake is not on my guess list. Honestly I’m not expecting him to return just like Mewtwo didn’t return from Melee in Brawl. I would be surprised but not upset if he returned. Since Capcom and Nintendo have been working together for nearly 30 years I would not be surprised if they snuck in someone from another Capcom franchise–Ken and Ryu from Street Fighter or Phoenix Wright and Miles Edgeworth from the Ace Attorney games come to mind.
Anywho, once more info on SSB4 is revealed I’ll write a new blog about it.