…Thanks to BlizzCon 2014, all lingering doubt about weather the movie will come soon has been swept away.
The sites in both posters above are real. Presumably more info will be distributed over the next 16-18 months. We already know the plot since the movie is based on the game Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. The game’s (and by extension the movie’s) plot follows the events of The Orcish Horde’s first invasion of Azeroth.
To those whose first experience with the Warcraft Universe is World of Warcraft, the Alliance and the Horde back then looked very different than it does now:
- During the First War, Varian Wrynn was just a child.
- Draka was pregnant with Go’el (Thrall) at the start of the First War.
- Durotan was Chieftain of the Frostwolf Clan. Durotan and his kinsmen were exiled from Draenor after Durotan spoke out against the Old Horde’s decision to abandon its Shamnistic heritage and embrace Fel Magic. The Frostwolf Clan also did not participate in the First or Second Wars.
- King Llane Wrynn led the Alliance of Stormwind (which also included Dwarves and High Elves) against Warchief Blackhand’s Horde (which included Orgres and later Trolls and Goblins). Commonly referred to as The First Horde, Blackhand’s Horde was tbe Vanguard of the Horde Invasion at the beginning of the First War.
- Neither the Alliance or the Horde at the time knew of the existence of the Night Elves or the Tauren, whose homelands are both on Kalimdor.
- At the close of the First War, Stormwind City is sacked by the Horde and Llane is murdered by the Half-Orc Assassin Garona.
- Doomhammer would succeed Blackhand after the First War after the latter is slain by Anduin Lothar at the start of the Second War.
- As suggested by the novel Arthas: Rise of the Lich King, it’s very likely Prince Arthas Menethil and Crown Prince Varian Wrynn met after The First War. Anduin Lothar fled to Lordaeron with Varian after Stormwind fell to the Horde.
I would not be surprised if Blizzard announced the expansion after Warlords of Draenor around the time the movie hits theaters. It will be interesting to see if they continue the trend and release movie versions of WarCraft II (plus the expansion Invasion of Draenor) and WarCraft III (plus the expansion The Frozen Throne).
I play both sides in World of Warcraft but if I had the choice of just one, I’m very partial to The Alliance.
One other thing. I know I’ve been saying it alot lately but: