…I figure I get this out of the way now before the end of the month.
Before I begin, read my review of the original Ruby & Sapphire.Pokemon OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire are remakes of the original Ruby and Sapphire. Those who played the original Ruby/Sapphire can rediscover the secrets of Hoenn they knew plus many new ones added to the remix. For those who didn’t play the original R/S, checking out my review of the original is strongly reccommended.
First, let’s go over some of what’s back:
- Secret Bases: For the first time since the original R/S, Secret Bases are not only back but it’s been greatly improved and has full Streetpass integration. You can visit the Secret Bases of whoever you Streetpass with as long as the spot isn’t where your own Secret Base is. You can even recruit up to 5 people to set up shop at your Secret Base, creating your own Gym.
- Team Aqua/Team Magma: Maxie and Archie have a new look, new personalities and new underlings but their goals are unchanged. Due to the introduction of the Fairy Type in X/Y, Dark Types are nothing to fear!
- Hoenn Legendaries: As I mentioned last month, all Hoenn Legendaries except Jirachi can be found in OR/AS, Kyogre and Groudon being the version exclusives of course.
- Mega Evolution: Introduced in X/Y, it’s back with a vengeance! Sceptile and Swampert join Blaziken with Mega Evolutions of their own (if you want Speed Boost Blaziken and missed the Promo Torchic, you’ll need to buy the Ability Capsule for 200BP. “Small” Price to pay for the most powerful Pokemon ever).
- The Trick House: Let’s be honest, trying to solve it is more fun than actually completing it. Well, it’s back for more fun ^_^
- Contest Hall: Contests return after being absent from the 5th Gen. Contests were brought back to their roots a bit as well. Make Poke Blocks, give ’em to your Pokemon and then compete!
- Feebas’ Original Evolution Method: For those who started playing Pokemon in the 5th Gen the Prisim Scale was used to evolve Feebase due to the absence of Contests. Now, you can evolve Feebas as before by raising its beauty points to at least 170.
…Oh and all of the locations were brought back of course. Now let’s talk about some of the new stuff:
- New Postgame Chapter: The Delta Episode, which begins after you beat the Elite Four for the first time is a pretty awesome postgame story that ends with you getting (Mega) Rayquayza, Cameruptite (OR) or Sharpedoite (AS) and Deoxys. A meteor is on a collision course with Hoenn and it falls to you to save everyone. The Delta Episode ends with a surprise encounter with a Wild Level 80 Deoxys (second-highest level wild Pokemon behind Level 100 Arceus in Diamond, Pearl and Platinum), and in outer space too.
- Full Poke Bank Compatability: A given but yeah. You can use the Poke Bank App in OR/AS as soon as you get the Pokedex. Seeing as the Online Battle Scene moved from X and Y to OR and AS, it would certainly make sense to move your favorites from Kalos to Hoenn.
- Johto, Sinnoh and Unova Starters: Each time you beat the Elite Four, Professor Birch will give you the opportunity to pick from the three starters from Johto (Chikorita, Cyndaquil or Totodile), Sinnoh (Turtwig, Chimchar or Piplup) and Unova (Snivy, Tepig or Oshwalott). Add the Kalos starters (Chespin, Fennekin or Froakie) and Kanto Starters (Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle) to the Hoenn Starters (Treecko, Torchic or Mudkip) and you get access to all 18 starters without needing to import from the older games!
- Mirage Spots: After a certain point in the game, you will be given the Eon Flute with which to soar high above Hoenn on the back of Mega Latios (OR) or Mega Latias (AS). There are islands and places opened to you that can only be accessed while Soaring. Some of these Mirage Spots contain the legendary Pokemon from Johto, Sinnoh and Unova. Hope I got your attention now XD
…The rest I’ll let you discover on your own ^_^
Overall, I give both OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire a 10/10. If you played the original Ruby and Sapphire it will be like enjoying the originals all over again but in glorious 3D. Otherwise, you’re in for a solid experience you won’t soon forget.