Disgruntled 3DS owners angry only the XL is coming to North America are organizing themselves and launching campaigns to get Nintendo to change its mind. There is a petition in progress as well. Instead of reposting info already available, I’m instead just going to point you in the right directions.
As of today, I am not going to buy the New Nintendo 3DS XL.
Nintendo needs to be sent the message not releasing the standard version in North America is a mistake. Gamespot seems to believe Nintendo might release it later and as long as that’s a possability, I will wait. The XL folded is about the same size as the PS Vita, which I can barely fit in my pockets. Portability is essential when it comes to the handhelds I have. I’ve never owned an XL before and that will not change this year.
So if Nintendo does do what I suspect they will and announce at E3 they are going to release the Standard Version after all, I’d rather buy the one I want later than buy the one I don’t want now and regret my decision in June. If it doesn’t get released at all, that’s fine with me too. That would actually be the best case as I will have saved the $200 I would have spent on the XL version.
To those leading the campaigns to make Nintendo change its mind, know that you have my support!